Saturday, November 12, 2011




If It's Worth Having, It Takes Time And Effort

Most of the time people, myself included, want things to be easy. We live in a world where no one wants to wait for anything, a true fast food society. It is my belief however that true success requires time and effort.

I am one of the most impatient people that I know; I often think that my true purpose in this life was to receive a lesson in patience. Over the last two years I have endured many life lessons. I have been blessed to start over; it's a blessing because second chances often give you new perspectives, although starting over is never easy. I have learned time and time again that no matter what I do, I must be willing to pay the price to move beyond where I am and what I am comfortable in doing.

Because I remember a time prior to microwave ovens I know that there is value in waiting. My grandmother does not have a microwave oven and cooks everything the old fashion way - heating it up in the oven or the stove. My grandmother is a woman who believes that love is shown in what you do for someone. Her cooking is always is done in a loving manner and it always takes time to prepare. I love eating her home cooked meals because they are much better than anything I would get from popping a container in the microwave and calling it dinner. But when I go to my grandmother's to eat I am always prepared to wait a little longer as she cooks the meal the old fashioned way.

Much like my grandmother's home cooked meals, success or the desire to have those things that bring value in life requires time, and time is something that many people in today's society view as prehistoric and that no longer exists. Ironically, most of us waste time, disregard it, and lose it everyday and yet time is the one thing that we can't recreate no matter what we do. My aunt once gave me a framed quote that says: "There is only one place where success appears before work and that is in the dictionary," and I, like so many others I know tend to forget that.

I want to get there, wherever there is, and I want to get there today. I want to have my name engraved in gold and hanging on a door to say, "I have arrived," but in that, there are some things that I must do. I must endure the difficult and tedious moments that come prior to experiencing the bliss and excitement just before I receive the reward. No, I don't expect that every moment will be easy, but every moment does not have to be difficult either. As long as I keep my eyes focused on what I desire to accomplish and work toward my goal I know there is nothing that I cannot do. Although, we live in a microwave society where things are packaged together for quick processing we must be mindful that success is not acquired by pressing a button. Success is a process and most of the time it requires time and effort for you to see the fruit of your labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment